Tuesday, September 9, 2008

First Post: An Introduction to Ryan's Rockin' Athens

To All Whom Read,

   For the sake of this first entry, I decided to take a formal approach and address all my future readers/subscribers in a letter format. For me, a letter symbolizes a kind of formal casualness--if there's even such a possible paradox. This format addresses--but does not shove down the throat--my message and my intentions in creating this blog. If anything, I hope that whomever reads my daily to quasi-daily panderings will find my opinions and views on music as a relaxing, if not introspective, look into not only the music scene that shapes Athens, Ohio, but also popular, established bands/artists that already shape our musical lexicon.
   For the past four years (prior to my freshman year in college at Ohio University), I have been an Arts & Entertainment correspondent and editor for The Verve, my high school's publication (much love to Jerome nation). I decided to continue my journalistic journey to one of the best journalism programs in nation at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism here at O.U.  My monthly column of music reviews became a staple those first four years of our high school's publication, and, according to most, my monthly column, Ryan's Rockin' Records, was the one article that they looked forward to most. Since I am in between non-paying writing jobs right now, I decided to act upon the advice of my journalism professor and start up R.R.R. again, this time in a more regular fashion. We'll see if I can keep up the daily updates past tomorrow, but I can't make any promises on my college schedule. However, don't feel that I'm just going to treat this blog as the red-headed step child whom I only call upon when I feel the need to. Oh no, even if I can't go day to day writing in this labor of musical love, I'll be thinking about it, only to come back with an even stronger post that's been stewing in my brain from the time that I posted last.
   For those who have read my columns from high school, I focused--primarily--on older albums by lesser known bands, but I eventually came to realize that my snobby taste in music ended up being everyone else's snobby taste in music. However, with the college edition of my column, I hope to review not only new releases and old classics, but also give the thriving Athens music scene the spotlight, with reviews of shows and--hopefully--band interviews and profiles. I want to spread the wealth here and warm-up to all potential audiences of this precocious music column. 
   Agree to disagree with me or become a believer of the Joseph Gospel, read at your own risk. So tune in, turn on, and drop out.


Yours In Life,

Ryan M. Joseph 

1 comment:

Luca said...

Joseph I can not wait to start reading this blog. You are the best writer that I know. You have so much insight to the music industry and your writing posses a professional quality. OU is lucky to have you. I hope I will be reading your published works someday. You know you have at least one dedicated fan. I know you will do great things at Scripts "third in the nation"

Good luck to you!

Lucas