Monday, October 13, 2008

I think that I'm going to go back on my original intentions for creating this blog. As I've come to explore the Athens music scene, I've come to realize that the majority of the bands are either thrash-hardcore rip-offs that sound like Papa Roach B-sides, or are indie-folk rock wannabes that really have no signature, recognizable sound. I'm disappointed so far to say the least. However, I haven't completely given up on the scene here, and I'm sure that there are going to be some great bands sweeping through here at some point. But that day still has yet to come.

For the time being, I'll humor myself (since I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who reads my own work consistently, if that's possible) by making this blog a continuation of my work on my high school publication, The Verve. That ranges from artist/album reviews and recommendations from my own selection of shitty music to my critique of our society as it relates to pop-culture. Although I'm still not doing much reporting like I should be if I want to land a spot on a publication down here, I'll at least keep my material fresh and let my ideas/opinions wander to whatever consenting/dissenting ears will listen. I am essentially a Chuck Klosterman knock-off (probably on the same knock-off level as those bands from Athens). But it's ok. I'll make it juicy for ya.

My reason for getting on this afternoon and writing was the subject of a blog that I read on Yahoo. It was a response to Vibe's current issue about the 64 greatest rappers and how the issue focused more closely on the greatest rappers that have recently released an album, as compared to the greatest of all time. To me, focusing on rappers that are only relevant now essentially defeats the point of one of those adverbial, "greatest" lists. I share the same views as the author when he points out that including rappers such as Soulja Boy Tell 'Em and Flo Rida, but not Rakim or Chuck D is ludicrous (wow, that actually turned out to be kind of a pun, considering that "Ludacris" was included in Vibe's list). 

Now, I might be white, I might be from an upper middle-class suburb, and I wear a good amount of Ralph Lauren Polo, but even with my qualifications (well actually, I think that I am pretty well qualified then to critique on rap music) such a list is ludicrous and way off the mark, at least in terms of the match-ups and participants. Eminem and Jay-Z--the winner and runner-up, respectively--are legitimate and worthy finalists, but the rest of the list seems shoddy and does resemble a list created only for the past few years. 

With that being said, maybe clarification on Vibe's part about what kind of "greatest" list this is would have been better to set it apart. And even if this list only consists of rappers from this decade, Vibe could have done a better job picking better MCs to include as compared to Soulja Boy and Flo Rida. Leaving out someone like Papoose or Zion I while putting in "rappers" whose songs only gain popularity through some crappy, mass-produced dance movie is inexcusable. Think your list through next time, Vibe. That way you won't have some 18-year old journalism student having to comment on its absurdity on his blog.

1 comment:

rks said...

Don't forget to put a headline on your posts... rks