Sunday, November 2, 2008

Everything In Its Right Place

It's very, very weird how time just seems to fly by. It's a cliché saying, but it's unbelievably true. Just a second ago, it felt like I was just getting down to Athens, and now, within the next three weeks, I'll be leaving for a month and a half to aimlessly and methodically work my life away in my hometown. 

I think in the two months that I've been down here for my freshman quarter in Athens, I have written two papers for a grand total of two and a half pages (and all in Spanish). While I'm not necessarily celebrating my lack of writing on subjects that I'll more than likely forget, I really came into college thinking that I'd develop carpel tunnel by mid-October. As of November 2nd, my right hand is still working.

However, during my blog posts, I think I've spent three-fourths of my writing time listening to Radiohead in order to inspire each and every one of my posts. I don't know why I choose listening to Radiohead over, say, Jay-Z to write these posts (or any writing for that matter), but I feel there is something inherently embedded in Radiohead's work that translates to intellectual writing. It's sort of like Red Bull for the brain.

For most, it's hard to study--albeit write--while listening to music, but Radiohead possess this ethereal ability to tap into the deepest cavities of my writing lobe. Maybe it's the fact that Kid A listens like a concept album about human cloning and materialism, or OK Computer arouses thoughts of our society being completely run by computers. "Fitter, Happier" creeps me the hell out, but I'm sure that was Thom Yorke and co.'s intended idea about living, breathing technology.

For me, the best music isn't necessarily the music that gets you pumped up nor makes you mindlessly want to dance around and watch "The Hills" incessantly; the best music has substance, it inspires thoughts, ideas, and grandeur. Music with a message takes the medium to its desired heights: as a way of communicating ingenious ideas.

Chuck Klosterman has already hit on this, but I wanted to further it. Radiohead possess the aforementioned quality. They sound like an audible George Orwell novel (Hail to the Thief essentially is) and they help me to create my most studious work. 

As the end of "The Tourist" begins to unwind, I think it would be apt to stop. Because when Thom Yorke says, "idiot, slow down, slow down," I probably should. 

No comments: