Sunday, September 13, 2009

Drug Dealing Just To Get By, Stack Your Money To The Big Sky

   I don't know why the VMAs markets itself as a genuine award show. Having a cool video doesn't necessarily constitute a good song; usually it ices over a shitty song. 
   However, I continue to suck at the teet and watch the VMA's half-heartedly every year. Any programming that's live anymore tends to usually be good programming--even after a 5-second delay (tittie slips be damned).
   With that being said, Kanye West delivered the whimsical goodies this year. As three-fourths of the Facebook population already know, Kanye interrupted T. Swift's award acceptance and essentially decried her win. As far as I'm concerned, my opinion on the actual matter is inconsequential. I personally do not like Taylor Swift's music and agree with Kanye's opinion as poorly timed as his statement was.
   However, the opinion of the ACTUAL event isn't the point. What has been TRIGGERED by the event is.

1. Although I missed it (which I can't believe considering it was blaring about three feet behind me) it's important to note how quickly people commented on Kanye's moment of hubris. Within the span of five minutes, I had over 30 Facebook updates all concerning the event. This is the power of mass media, people. Without digressing into a lecture that probably would have been best served in my journalism 101 class last year, it's interesting to note how negligible information travels so quickly from laptop screen to laptop screen. I could probably go for an entire day--maybe two--without hearing about a terrorist attack, but the minute I update my Facebook I'm flooded with everyone's disgust of the Louis Vuitton Don. It's great to see the power of the media and the news. Anyways...

2. People, as much as you temporarily hate Kanye West right now, don't lie: you still like him. You still bow down to his boutique-bought Nike Dunk highs and those horrendous window-shutter sunglasses. Now I realize some don't like Kanye's music. True. Everyone will have their haters. But I will go out on a limb and testify for the majority of you that Kanye is an ingenuous musician. He produces, he raps, he nails models like a carpenter. Facebook statuses such as "Kanye, you're so off my iPod" are untrue. Not only are they untrue, but I guarantee that you'll go ahead and listen to him pretty damn soon to justify your loathe for the man from the Chi. This is his sch-tick: he's a cocky asshole. He knows it. Your mother knows it. Your Aunt Netta even realizes it. Remember his "George Bush doesn't care about black people" wunder quote? This pales in comparison. Learn to expect it.

3. Chuck Klosterman touched on this during a recent appearance on Bill Simmons' talk show for ESPN radio. He made the point that people during the wake of Michael Jackson's death used the King of Pop's death as a way to feel apart of something. He pointed out that some people--although not necessarily M.J. fans--jumped on Michael's morose bandwagon pretending to be fans just to feel in touch. His conclusion: this is the idea behind pop culture. Pop culture is a bunch of superfluous info and/or opinions that people think they need in order to feel apart of something. 
   Apply said sentiments here. 
   I can get down with a few sporadic mentions on my Facebook newsfeed about Kanye. Really, I can. But when half of my Facebook friends feel the need to bombard me with their often needless thoughts on the matter, I start to question peoples' abilities to refrain from being a human Lemming. Mull that one over for a hot second.

-Check this jam-ski on rye bread: "Hoochie Coo"
   It's Mos Def, Jim Jones, and The Black Keys all on one track. Oh yeah, and pigs can now fly. Chuuuch.

Remember: God Is Love,

Rev Rub

No comments: