Thursday, July 16, 2009

Still High-Two Steppin' It, Do It For the Capital, Wale-Ovechkin.

1. I'm probably going to catch a lot of shit for this, but bear with me (that you means you as well, Arch, Eamonn): but when was I supposed to feel personally slighted by steroid use in professional baseball? When was I supposed to feel that I had been morally and righteously wronged by men like Rafael Palmeiro and Jose Canseco?
   Granted, I'm not a huge baseball fan. I can get into the spirit of the game and I don't doubt the game as this country's national past time. I also acknowledge that my entire argument against not caring about steroid use in baseball has some holes--the ends just don't meet yet.
   However, the media's treatment of this subject makes me feel as if I personally had been done wrong, like these professional athletes robbed me of everything I own. And I think this witch hunt to find who has used and who supposedly hasn't is ridiculous; it's not that detrimental to everyone's existence.
   I approve of suspending players for positive tests. But that is only because it is now against the rules. However, degrading and villainizing those whose results from 2003 and before leaked shouldn't be just frowned upon but simply accepted as fact. Said player used steroids knowing the side-effects. But it wasn't illegal and therefore was an accepted form of training--as unorthodox as baseball Puritans view it.
   I could go on and on, but I'll leave it there (I know I've already set some people's hair a-flame after a few paragraphs). It's a slippery slope from here, but as far as I'm concerned, A-Rod's stats are legit. Especially if he's followed the rules since 2003.

2. Does this dialogue make sense:
   "I never gave a fuck. I never gave a fuck about what n****s thought about me. I mean, I did, but like, fuck it. You know what I'm sayin'?"
-Kid Cudi, "Man On The Moon (The Anthem)"
   Maybe a little Cudi ambivalence?

3. Take a step back and imagine this: say you park your car and run into the store. When you come back out, you find that someone has broken into your car, but instead of stealing something they simply committed suicide in your seat.
   Riddle me this: would you feel complimented that someone decided to commit suicide in your car? Disregard the fact that the person is dead; however, focus on the fact that, although they could've killed him/herself at another location, he/she instead decided to kill him/herself in your motorized vehicle. Is that a compliment?

4. Is there any better song that combines narrative structure and incendiary wordplay than Biggie's song "Gimme Tha Loot"?
   "Crazier than a bag of fucking angel dust, when I bust my gat motherfuckers take dirt naps. I'm all that and a dime sack, where the paper at?"

5. Finally, shout-out to my man Billy Darby working hard to put these songs together. Check 'em and support Kahmal Music: http://www.myspace.com/kahmalmusic.

Mazel Tov.

No comments: